[pmwiki-users] Removing some unnecessary links

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Apr 21 11:59:15 CDT 2014

Arslan Munir writes:
> I have just started using pmwiki. I want to get rid of some unnecessary links
> that are appearing on my webpage. Here is my web link:
> <URL:http://www.ece.rice.edu/~am68/>http://www.ece.rice.edu/~am68/
>
> 1. On the main page, there are links
> main
> Home Page
> I haven't put these and I am not sure how to get rid of these.

They are part of the skin template. You are using the Skittlish skin, and
the template is the file pmwiki/pub/skins/skittlish/skin.tmpl. You can edit
it to remove the links around the group name and the page title.

> 2. On the side bar, when I click on any link (e.g., Research Overview), it
> shows
> ResearchOverview
> Research Overview
> I would like to get rid of ResearchOverview on the top

Same case, this is the group name and the page name, see the skin.tmpl file.

> When I created this link, I used
> [[Research Overview/Research Overview]]
> I also tried only with [[Research Overview]] to see if I can get rid of
> unnecessary link but then it put a ? mark at the end and didn't let me edit
> the page asking for a password and not accepting any:
>
> Site
> Research Overview
> password

This is normal, the SideBar is a page in the Site group, and links in the
SideBar like  [[Research Overview]] would lead to the page  [[Site/Research
Overview]]. (And the Site group is edit-protected.)

So inside the SideBar you need to use links in the format
[[GroupName/PageName]], eg. [[Main/Research Overview]] for a page
ResearchOverview in the Main/ group.

You can browse/search the documentation for Links, WikiGroups and Skins, and
if something in the documentation is not clear enough, tell us.

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Links
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiStructure
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiGroup

See the page on Skins:
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Skins/SkinGuidelines

You may also find useful a short tutorial on HTML: look at your favorite
search engine.

And to be able to edit pages in the Site group:
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin

Good luck,
Petko