[pmwiki-users] RFC: Deleting pages from the core documentation

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun Sep 8 01:40:09 CDT 2013

> I don't believe we should be trying to keep old links working for wikis that
> have not updated their software for year.
> And I'm not in favour of many PmWiki redirect page files (in wiki.d) that
> confuse with real pages, show up in pagelists and searches, and confuse wiki
> users.
> While I agree there is a social contract to redirect, there is also a social
> contract to update, and as a group with limited resources I'd favour
> maintainability and keeping the effort low, over having redirect pages.

It is not only about old links working, it is also about leaving unused
pages with obsolete content on a wiki which upgraded to the latest version.

The argument "confuse with real pages, show up in pagelists and searches" is
valid and also needs addressing. Maybe a Summary: line like "Redirects to
RealPage" will help?

Petko