[pmwiki-users] skin template advice?

Tamara Temple tamouse.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 19:46:57 CDT 2013

On Oct 18, 2013, at 4:58 PM, Ian MacGregor <ardchoille42 at me.com> wrote:

> I am not always able to access my server via SFTP or a shell so I thought it would be easier for me to manage things as much as possible from the wiki. So, I have implemented my skin template as follows:

>         <!--PageHeaderFmt-->
>         <!--wiki:Site.WebsiteHeader-->
>         <!--/PageHeaderFmt-->
>         <!--wiki:Site.SiteNavBar-->
>           <!--PageActionFmt-->
>           <!--wiki:Site.PageActions-->
>         <!--PageTitleFmt-->
>         <h2>{$Title}</h2>
>         <!--PageText-->
>       <!--PageFooterFmt-->
>       <!--wiki:Site.WebsiteFooter-->
>     <!--HTMLFooter-->
>
> Is there anything wrong with this as long as I have the correct pages called from the .tmpl file?  I have designed a skin for my personal use and it seems to work as desired. However, I would like to know if this is a bad idea in the long run.
>
> Regards,
> Rev. Ian MacGregor
> http://www.ianmacgregor.net

This is very close to what I've done with MouseSkin. Nearly all aspects of the site's content is defined in wiki pages. It's sometimes a wee bit arcane (as the example with the menu you just posted prior) but it's not really hard to work with. Feel free to check MouseSkin if you want for examples, but also rolling your own is quite fun and instructive.