[pmwiki-users] syncing pmwiki with local installation (OSX)

Dieter Wirz didi.wirz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 09:28:37 CST 2013

Hi
I agree, if you have a linux server, then rsync  might be a possibility!
Ask google for "rsync ssh no password" and you will find eg this site:
https://blogs.oracle.com/jkini/entry/how_to_scp_scp_and
If you then run something like:
rsync --rsh=ssh -abv user at server:/home/me/pathtowiki/ /Users/me/pathtowiki/
Principally you can run this both ways....

But:
The main problem are most probably the owner rights of the files, that
are changed if you do it this way, and finally you will end up in a
mess, because the files created by the webserver belong to the
webserver - eg the files in upload and wiki.d. The webserver-user is
called www-data on debian systems, _www (note the underscore) on macs,
both have no home and no password, therefore it would be a terrible
and insecure hack to rsync or scp as user _www to
www-data at server:/pathtowiki/

And, don't try this on your existing pmwiki, you might loose all your data....