[pmwiki-users] Heading level markup seems incorrect

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 29 00:42:38 CDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:39 AM, John Rankin
<john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
>> http://www.smontanaro.net/cr/pmwiki.php?n=Main.BikeShops
>>
>> The headings descend geographically, for example:
>>
>> !! USA
>>
>> !!! California
>>
>> !!!! San Francisco
>>
>> etc
>>
>> The problem is that the city displays more prominently than the
>> state. They display in the same font and size, but the city
>> is bold. [...]

Excellent answer:
> The heading display is under the control of pub/skins/pmwiki/pmwiki.css
> and in particular the following settings (from that file):
[...]
> So h1, h2, h3, and h6 are normal weight, whereas h4 and h5 are bold
> weight. You can edit these settings to produce the effect you prefer.

What I would add to that is:
What you see is not necessarily what your visitors will get.  It's
easy to forget cross-browser compatibility when you're tweaking your
pages to get them "just right".

Put another way: Your pages can (do) appear differently when people
visit your site with various browsers (and operating systems, etc.).
Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera all use different
page-rendering engines, for example. And there are mobile browsers to
consider as well.

Look at your pages using a few other browsers and/or operating systems
if you can.

Hagan

p.s.: If you don't want to install a bunch of different browsers on
your computer, maybe "portable" versions would be helpful.
http://www.pendriveapps.com/
http://portableapps.com/