[pmwiki-users] Pondering adding comment ability to wiki pages, and thoughts on spam prevention

Tue Mar 20 20:51:06 CDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Peter Bowers <pbowers at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM, tamouse mailing lists
> <tamouse.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Simon <nzskiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Have a look at the way we stop spam here.
>>
>> Just giving a password in clear text so a live user can type it in --
>> I had heard of that, but wasn't sure how well it worked. Can you
>> unpack a little more of what you're doing here? I don't know where to
>> modify the login form, and does this method work with AuthUser as
>> well, so you can have both anonymous and authorized people editing
>> things?
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/OpenPass
>
> -Peter

Oh, thanks, Peter. That's a pretty good jumping off point for me,
especially option #2. That looks like it might be good for some parts
of what I want to do.

Simon, is this how your site implements the guest editing password?

I'd still like to be able to allow humans to freely comment on
*-Comment pages if possible, even without a captcha or having to log
in using a well-known password. I'd like to pull out as much
interference as possible so they don't just walk away. It greatly
annoys me to have to go through an extra step to leave a quick
drive-by comment someplace, and I'd like to avoid annoying visitors.

I will still be pursuing the other options listed on that link above.