[pmwiki-users] pmwiki skin

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Aug 28 06:40:43 CDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 01:11:06PM +0200, shout at joshleepictures.com wrote:
> [...] In my email user refers to the admin, as in original/primary
> user of the PmWiki software, whereas CarlosAB usage of ‘user’ seems
> to refer to the actual editor.

This is part of my continuing crusade against ever using the term
"user" when trying to describe something -- it's too ambiguous.
I almost never write "user"; I write "site admin", "recipe author",
"page author", "reader", "viewer", etc. -- it makes things a _lot_
clearer.

I do this in contexts outside of PmWiki as well; almost always choosing
words such as "application programmer", "library programmer", "compiler
writer", "system administrator", "database administrator", etc.

Or if it really needs to be generic, use names such as Alice, Bob, Carol,
etc. and then describe the role each plays.  But almost any description
can be improved _greatly_ by simply replacing the word "user" with
a much more descriptive name.

(Long ago I would regularly do searches for "user" or " user " in the
PmWiki documentation and replace whatever I could find with something
better.)