[pmwiki-users] How to store login information in a page and have their permissions determined by what group that page is in

Alex Eftimiades alexeftimiades at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 20:50:27 CDT 2012

So far, I am able to do it with pagetextvariables using the following
modification to AuthUser.php:
function AuthUserId($pagename, $id, $pw=NULL) {
   global $AuthId, $AuthUserSearchPatterns;
   $authid='';
   $pages=@ListPages();
   //print_r($pages);
     foreach ($pages as $i => $pn) {
         if(PageVar($pn,'$:username')==$id &&
PageVar($pn,'$:password')==$pw){
           $authid = $id;
           $authlist['@'.FmtPageName('$Group', $pn)] = 1;
           break;
         }
   }
   if (!$authid) {$GLOBALS['InvalidLogin'] = 1; return; }
   if (!isset($AuthId)) $AuthId = $authid;
   $authlist["id:$authid"] = 1;
   $authlist["id:-$authid"] = -1;
   SessionAuth($pagename, array('authid' => $authid, 'authlist' =>
$authlist));
}

Would anyone have any ideas as to how to go about improving on this? I
would like to have people able to edit their usernames and passwords
from their page. I was planning on using the EditAttributes recipe for
that. This would make member management very easy. However, I am
uneasy with having them have their personal information out in the
open like this. Should I consider trying to save the information as
page variables? For now, I am going to try to have everything
encrypted. I seem to recall their being a functionality for that.

Thanks,
Alex

PS: If anyone thinks this would be useful I will consider writing up a
cookbook recipe on it when I have everything polished. At least to me,
it seems like a great way to store and manage login information.