[pmwiki-users] SVG image not being displayed in spite of enabling SVG extension

Sun Apr 22 02:29:22 CDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM, tamouse mailing lists
<tamouse.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have an experimental pmwiki installation. I have enabled the SVG extension
>> by following the steps at
>> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Svg
>>
>> I now have the following link on my wiki page.
>> http://openclipart.org/people/mrallowski/1334869889.svg"Green earth SVG
>> image for environmentally friendly custard"
>>
>> No image is being displayed. What am I missing? Should I upload the image to
>> my server and then link to it?
>>
>> Pranav

> Interesting. This recipe works straight out of the box for me (despite
> the problems reported on the cookbook page).
>
> Here's what's in my wikipage:
>
> %width=600 height=600%http://openclipart.org/people/mrallowski/1334869889.svg"Green
> earth SVG image for environmentally friendly custard"
>
> (That's all on one line, by the way, I'm sure email is going to cause
> it to wrap.)
>
> The image is displayed fine when the page is rendered.
>
> What is not working, apparently, is the caption is hung off to the
> side as the image is rendered inline, unlike how it is done for a
> gif/png/jpg, giving a tool tip. Given it's doing an embed instead of
> an img, this may be problematic. It doesn't look to me as though
> chrome or firefox do tooltips for title= attributes in an embed tag.

Dug a bit more into this.

<embed> is deprecated in 4.01 strict. I don't know if or which
browsers honour this if you're using the strict doctype/namespace.
(Don't really have time or inclination to test this out, myself.)
<embed> is back in HTML5. Maybe.... change your skin template to use
HTML5? That's really a wild ass guess.