[pmwiki-users] Looking for articles/reviews about PmWiki

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Sep 30 19:48:20 CDT 2011

On Thursday 29 September 2011 20:02:33, Forgeot Eric wrote :
> With more than 150 websites referenced for using PmWiki (and there are
> problably lots more) on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/SuccessStories ,
> I don't think anyone could delete the PmWiki article on Wikipedia, without
> being completely insane, but who knows...

The pages SuccessStories and PmWikiUsers including other language versions
reference about 500 websites, which were added by their users. There are
thousands more, but we don't have a way to know about them and count them.

Note: while PmWiki was created to manage a university website and can easily
handle huge wikis with thousands of editors, wikigroups and pages, most of the
references are of personal or small business websites with a mean of the
number of authors very close to 1.

PmWiki was very popular in the past because it was one of the first wikis/CMSs
written in PHP at a moment when cheaper hosting providers started providing
PHP in addition to static HTML, it didn't need a database, Wikis were à la
mode (but a pmwiki looked like a professional website and not like a wiki),
and there were fewer than today, but tehcnically more competent Internet users
who didn't mind reading documentation and writing in config files.

Today Internet users are less geeky and less patient, and other content
management software made the publication for the web look easier for a
complete newcomer, with an install wizard, point-and-click configuration,
WYSIWYG, etc. Not to mention free/ad-supported hosted services where even
teenagers have their blogs.

Compare the number of publications about PmWiki to those about Wordpress,
Joomla or Drupal which are CMSs all much younger than PmWiki.

> Maybe mentionning some successful (read: notable) websites using PmWiki for
> displaying their content would help:
>
> - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tvtropes

A while ago this link was on the PmWiki article, but someone removed it as
incidental.

> - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geany

This article has the same problem as the PmWiki article, the encyclopedic
notability of the software may be chalenged.

> - University of Minnesota Libraries Staff Website:
> https://wiki.lib.umn.edu/

There are also a number of pmwikis on the Texas A&M University Corpus Christi
at *.tamucc.edu.

Thanks,
Petko