[pmwiki-users] It's time to change pmwiki default skin!

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 18 06:18:58 CDT 2011

Carlos AB (2011-09-13 22:04):
> Hi Forgeot, List,
>
> I have created a group Called "NewSkinIdeas" and posted an initial idea there in
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/NewSkinIdeas/CarlosAB
>
> Feel free to comment and post new ideas.

I found the minimal design of your mock-ups attractive and made a skin:
http://demo.neto.li/pmwiki-carlskin/
http://demo.neto.li/pmwiki-carlskin/pub/skins/carlskin/pmwiki.tmpl
http://demo.neto.li/pmwiki-carlskin/pub/skins/carlskin/pmwiki.css

I am not yet sure were to use it, but it will find a place :)

Anyone else interested in this design, should I upload it to pmwiki.org?

What about something similar as a new default?

Some random points regarding this discussion, after making my skin and
looking through http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/01265:
1. The default skin should be updated. It doesn't have to be a complete
   facelift, and the new skin shouldn't become too complex. But is there a
   consensus which path to take (more features or less clutter)?

   My skin doesn't show any new features, but I find its .tmpl and .css
   files simpler than pmwiki's default.

   The wordpress.org and textpattern.com examples others posted are too
   loaded for me.

2. In my skin, it is easy to add configurable colors, include
   Site.WikiFoot as a footer page, but it is hard to find a place for a
   header and a searchbox. Though constraining, such a minimal design
   forces us to abandon clutter.

3. It is hard to „Easily switch to right sidebar.“ without using tables
   (various scrolling, text zooming, overflow problems arise). Are there
   any new sites using tables nowadays?

4. I think that it is impossible to have a flexible layout and a centered
   page, though full-zoom of modern browsers might be a solution (but one
   mustn't forget that the point of zoom is to increase the text size).

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos