[pmwiki-users] It's time to change pmwiki default skin!

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Sep 13 01:51:40 CDT 2011

> I'm not sure Pmwiki would/should/could enter the race with things like
> Wordpress (I like Textpattern a lot more) or any other CMS up to
> TYPO3.
> Pmwiki is a wiki, and a file-based one.
> Which puts its roots into a *very* different ground.
> No matter how powerful or useful pmwiki may be, first-time visitors
> and possible adopters should be aware of this.
> Definitely.

OTOH pmwiki ought not discourage first-time visitors who see a dated look
and may assume, incorrectly, that the software is dated. First impressions
count. You are right to question the wisdom of trying to compete with
<insert preferred CMS here, eg silverstripe>.  This is neither necessary
nor desirable in my view. But it is entirely practical to lift the quality
of pmwiki.org's first impression to that of (for example) the default
Drupal home page or the default WordPress theme, with not much more than
an improved style sheet.

Out of the box, pmwiki needs to meet a minimum acceptable presentation
standard and the bar is higher than it was 6 years ago. As you say:

><snip>
>
> That said, and on the other hand, for many needs pmwiki *does* compare
> (and could compete) with some of the tools I mentioned above.
> For this reason, a fresh look would be really fine (and bring new
> people to the community).

JR
--
John Rankin