[pmwiki-users] Sending emails when a calendar is updated

John Bowling johnlb2002 at cox.net
Thu Sep 8 22:14:19 CDT 2011

On 09/08/2011 02:58 AM, Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 September 2011 03:14:01, John Bowling wrote :
>
>> I fixed my problem with config.php, so everything seems to work, except
>> that I have not yet gotten any emails relating to the calendar entry
>> changes.
>
> Some hosting providers disable the mail() function of PHP to prevent spam. If
> that is your case, unfortunately this is not something PmWiki could fix.

It is currently running in localhost on openSUSE 11.4, so that is not an
issue.

> It could also be simply a delay -- PmWiki doesn't send the messages
> immediately but it needs visits, so keep broiwsing and editing your wiki and
> the emails will come.

I have:
$NotifyList[] = 'notify=myname at cox.net group=Calendar home=Calendar
squelch=30 delay=60';
$NotifyFrom = 'myname at gmailcom';
in config.php
Both are valid, working addresses

> Alternatively, these messages could land in your Spam/Trash folder: you may
> need to configure your email filters to let them through.

Not easy to do without knowing what the subject will be. If I filter on
just a from or to address, it will get a few hundred a day, and most of
them are required for other things. Same with searching for
miss-directed emails.

> Petko

So it appears that there is no way to test if notify is working.

John