[pmwiki-users] Problem with trashing deleted files from a folder

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Thu Oct 20 08:08:52 CDT 2011

Eric and Peter,
Thank you for your answers.
Shell commands scare me a lot.
I would prefer to avoid all those text based solutions, and more when
requiring more or less advanced Regular Expressions.
Out of my experience I know that even a tiny error there (a single
misplaced character) might bear to unforeseen and destructive results.
This, coupled with the fact that my required action here is to
"delete" files, is more than enough to make me quite scared.

> Another possibility would be to install some sort of PHP file manager

I just tried with a file manager my host makes available to its customers.
After a long while I got:
   Gateway Time-out
   The gateway did not receive a timely response
      from the upstream server or application.

I then googled for php file managers to be installed on my website.
Some of them require a database, so I skipped them.

I finally found one [1] which, although not refined, is said to work.
The good side of it is that it works out of a single file, just to be
uploaded into the server.
So I did, and gave 777 permissions, made sure that the file starts
with <?php instead of just <? (I've read that there is a difference,
at times) but all I got was a
    500 Internal Server Error

I then uploaded a fancier and probably more advanced tool [2], this
time made out of more than 1200 files. No database required.
I gave 777 permissions to all files (just in case) but, again, all I
got was, again
    500 Internal Server Error

Thus...
I'll probably kill Blog-It out of my system, trash all folders, and
just place a link at the bottom of pages, the traditional way:
   if you have something to say,
   please send me an email :-)

Luigi

----