[pmwiki-users] How to set navigation aids in wiki page that get used by group header / footer

Wed Oct 12 12:23:02 CDT 2011

I am running into a bit of a problem. I have wanted to standardize the
navigation of my wiki by putting tags and categories for the page at
the bottom of each page. Rather than include the same markup on each
page, naturally I thought of using a group footer. But how to get the
information there? AHA, I thought, I'll use page text vars to do it,
as it seems to work great for the page summary which I've already been
using in the group header.

So I set up two page text vars:

(:Categories:[[!Cat1]],[[!Cat2]]:)
(:Tags tag1, tag2:)

In the wiki page. Then in the group footer, I put:

||border=0 width=100%
||'''Tags:''' (:tags {*$:Tags} :) || '''Categories:''' {*$:Categories}

getting a nice little squarish navigation bit at the bottom of each page.

This doesn't work, for some obvious reasons.

1. tags and categories don't actually get associated with the page in question.
2. formatting is a bit off

So, my current venture is to do the following:

In each page, I set the following:

(:Categories:[[!Cat1]], [[!Cat2]]:)(:if false:) [[!Cat1]] [[!Cat2]] (:ifend:)
(:Tags: tag1, tag2:)(:if false:)(:tags tag1, tag2:)(:ifend:)

and the group footer part is unchanged.

This is kludgy but it's mostly working, except I get {*$:Tags} in my
tag list cloud.

Maybe someone can offer a better answer?