[pmwiki-users] Looking for articles/reviews about PmWiki

Eric Forgeot eforgeot at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 03:26:12 CDT 2011

> PmWiki was very popular in the past because it was one of the first wikis/CMSs
> written in PHP at a moment when cheaper hosting providers started providing
> PHP in addition to static HTML,

I didn't know PmWiki was that old. It would worth mentionning it on the
wiki (date of creation or first release)

About the {{notability}} and {{primary sources}} tags added on the
PmWiki page on WP, I see they were added by an unregistered user from
Poland. Don't you think it could be a kind of vandalism? Wouldn't it be
possible to revert this random and non justified action?

With 5 books mentionning PmWiki and hundreds of websites using it, the
PmWiki's notability couldn't be seriously questionned.

It could also be interesting to copy the whole PmWiki article on
pmwiki.org, "just in case of".

I'm longing for a decentralized encyclopedia, without some of WP drawbacks.

> Today Internet users are less geeky and less patient, and other content
> management software made the publication for the web look easier for a
> complete newcomer, with an install wizard, point-and-click configuration,
> WYSIWYG, etc.

it's true. Hopefully PmWiki is not that difficult to install. I find it
also more conveniant to configure and use than other CMS.

> Compare the number of publications about PmWiki to those about Wordpress,
> Joomla or Drupal which are CMSs all much younger than PmWiki.

Except for the WYSIWYG part, those CMS's configurations (setting up the
damn database) and use are very daunting. I don't find it natural to use
a "backoffice" for creating content, and you can't see well the
organisations of the pages.
And I'm not talking about backing up a mysql database to migrate a CMS
to another host (after doing it for a mediawiki on a mutualised host, I
swore I won't ever deal with those sql database again)

It's a bit off topic, but I see many webdesigners using wordpress as a
basis for their work (see
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=webdesigner+wordpress or
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wp-content ), making probably huge php
developpement for extending it further, it means they probably not
needed a full WYSIWYG CMS.

Maybe PmWiki, if it would have been visually
more attractive at first sight, could have suit their need too.