[pmwiki-users] WYSIWYG is Indispensable; Moment of Truth

Radu Luchian radu at monicsoft.net
Wed May 25 21:45:31 CDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:31, Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net> wrote:
> Editing table data externally, using Text2Tbl or ConvertHTML, is an
> workaround.

OK, this is getting silly.

I work with tables a lot too, and it's not such a big deal to:
-copy current table in from the rendered page
-paste in OpenOffice spreadsheet
-do wonders with *spreadheet-oriented* tool
-copy-paste in Edit mode over the old table
-click the handy-dandy Excel-to-markup edit toolbar button, then Preview
-(extremely rare) make changes manually if something is out of place

Jeez. :) Folks, pmwiki is a WIKI engine, not an office suite!

For more complicated tables (like ones presenting linguistic variances of
various parts of speech), I use templates

I am quite happy with the Preview as it is handled in the Gemini set of
skins.

For image presentation I provide my users with templates into which all they
put is the file name (the template name and the include markup is popped in
with a custom edit button).

I would be very happy to see a page-picker for links internal to the wiki,
and slightly more user-friendly uploads. Other than this, a visual editor
handling the conversion from rich text (HTML<->Markup) for a predefined set
of styles handled with a style pulldown list (bold, italics, color
highlight, alignment) and a way for us to add/remove styles from that list,
and I would not ask for more.

Cheerio,
Radu