[pmwiki-users] Group name based $XLLangs (multilanguage Wiki)?

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sun May 22 08:22:19 CDT 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net> wrote:
> Randy Brown wrote:
>
>> Suggestion: get the language code from the URL by writing a PHP
>> function to return the language code embedded in the page's group
>> (the first part of the "?n=" parameter. Since that doesn't require
>
> since I'm using "pretty URLs", there is no ?n parameter.
>
> There are several possibilities of group and name encoding (dot,
> slash, order of appearance) that I don't want to duplicate the PmWiki
> functions if I can avoid it.

My understanding of pretty URLs is that they simply change
www.example.com/pmwiki/Group/Page to
www.example.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Group/Page behind the scenes.
Thus the $_REQUEST['n'] (or $_GET['n']) is still available regardless
of the use of pretty URLs.  But that's somewhat irrelevant because
$pagename is already set to that value by the time config files are
included...

Unfortunately $pagename can still be blank if the user is just looking
for a default page or have trailing ".html" or etc.  This can be fixed
by a call to ResolvePageName(), but you are correct in noting that
this causes problems with caching (due to the call to MakePageName()
IIRC) if used too early in config.php... :-(

I would love to see either (1) a change to core to provide access to
$pagename (validated), $name, and $group throughout config.php and
farmconfig.php.  Or (2), at least an "officially sanctioned" way to
access these values via PHP early on in farmconfig and/or
config.php...  Currently a simple preg_match on $pagename will work in
probably 99.5% (?) of situations, but it would be great to have a 100%
solution that doesn't cause caching problems...

-Peter