[pmwiki-users] vspace revisited

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue Jul 26 02:25:27 CDT 2011

Paul Giacherio wrote:

[...]

>Personally I don't find the 'can of worms' that daunting. I feel there are a
>fair number of css reset and default stylesheets out there that do a great
>job of styling standard tags. If you start there, what's left is a finite
>number of block-level element combinations that need adjusting.

Can yo give an example?

I started a test case http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Vspace to
demonstrate the current PmWiki behaviour and "interesting" situations.

Most people simply put vertical margins on every text element. But I
dislike this space between a table border and text.

See the test case - the list items, the paragraph and the image should
all be aligned IMO.

Try other skins, e.g.
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Vspace?skin=monobook - list items are
misaligned.

Try a skin avoiding PmWiki's vspace handling (is there any on
PmWiki.org?) and it gets more complicated.

Nevertheless the tons of class='vspace' are not exactly beautiful.

I talked to several very experienced web designers about using PmWiki
as a CMS, and most of them strongly disliked the lots of CSS
statements in the markup and the vspace handling.

Oliver