[pmwiki-users] RFC: Indexing categories and links (suspended)

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:36:16 CST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 17:47, DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com> wrote:

> On 3/7/2010 8:23 AM, Hans wrote:
>> Sunday, March 7, 2010, 8:44:24 AM, Simon wrote:
>>
>>> The markup [[!SomeCategory]] is a tag, it categorises a page. It is a definition or declaration.
>>> The  markup [[Category/SomeCategory] is a reference to page (that
>>> lists pages on which a particular tag occurs)
>>
>> To me [[!SomeCategory]] is foremost a link,
>> a special type of link, but still a link.
>> If tags were implemented in Pmwiki there would be some kind of tag
>> markup, which will not necessarily display as a link.
>> Tags would be more like the title directive, and stored as separate
>> page attributes.
> I believe the way many people use [[!...]] is as a basic tagging
> mechanism already.

+1 to this.

Couldn't we consider that [[!...]] could be *both* a tag and a link?
Therefore we only need a way to express what could be a "silent" tag,
ie. not rendering as a link. someting like {{!...}} could be
aproppriate.

>> If PmWiki wants a tag system, then that should be discussed,
>> but such discussion is beyond what is proposed on that PITS page
>> about distinguishing [[!Page]] and [[Category.Page]] in backlinks.
>>
>> For me a tagging system would not only use markup which could be
>> invisible, but also could use multiple tag groups, and has a
>> mechanism in the standard edit form to add and change tags.
>> The latter might brake PmWiki's simplicity rule.
> Adding additional functionality to the category system to extend it's
> use as a tagging system has merit, but as you say beyond where this
> discussion is.

IMHO (and on a rather technical point of view), we already have almost
all the bells and wistles we could need to handle such kind of data
(page text variable, page attributes,...). The problerm here is more a
need to know how to use the available features in a no non-sense
way...
...and document it!

--
Dominique