[pmwiki-users] Imorting a Microsoft Front Page Discussion to pmWiki?

Steve Commerce2008 at ErgoArchitecture.com
Thu Jun 3 21:04:34 CDT 2010

Peter Bowers <pbowers <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Steve
> <Commerce2008 <at> ergoarchitecture.com> wrote:
> > Our existing discussion has about 2,500 articles, many of which are
> > hyperlinked to each other, and we can't abandon them to start over.  The
> > articles are basic html files other than the webbot tag.  The articles each
> > have a unique hexidecimal name such as 000003e6.htm
> >
> > Any ideas on how I might be able to convert these files to pmWiki files and
> > import them into a wiki?  Losing the hyperlinks would not be the end of the
> > world, but some sort of automated process to import the articles is
probably a
> > must.
>
> Have you looked at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ConvertHTML --
> that will help with any formatting you've got in html.
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ImportText will help bring them in en
masse.

> Maybe not too much PHP coding could result in some combination of the
> 2?  Just a suggestion...  If it works it'd definitely be a candidate
> for a recipe...
>
> Another option (from the talk pages at ConvertHTML) might be
> http://diberri.dyndns.org/html2wiki.html -- not sure if anybody has
> tested that with success...  The beauty of this is that all it takes
> to do the whole site is a quick shell script wrapping it or perhaps
> multiple files are already supported...  I've no experience with this
> html2wiki, but it's another possibility to consider.
>
> -Peter

Thanks Peter!  Those seem like a bunch of good hints.  It may take me a while
to wade through those but rest assured that I will be back if it looks
hopeful.  If all goes well I will whip up a recipe to automate the whole
process and post it back to the wiki, but the wise man would not hold his
breath!  Thanks again for the great hints.  That seems like it will put me on
the right track so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Steve