[pmwiki-users] Including PTVs from other pages, for use in pagelists

Chris Cox ccox at endlessnow.com
Thu Jun 3 16:04:45 CDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 22:49 +0300, Eemeli Aro wrote:
> On 3 June 2010 21:07, Chris Cox <ccox at endlessnow.com> wrote:
> > Ok... I have a page with PTVs on it.  I would like to include PTVs from
> > a different page (e.g. using include for example).
> >
> > What I'd like is to be able to have a pagelist query have access to all
> > PTVs, for the page and the pages it includes.
> >
> > Possible?
>
> Probably not with just (:include:). (:include:) doesn't track what
> pages are included, and in any case PTVs aren't read from the page
> together with the other markup, but as a completely separate process
> working from the raw markup where (:pagelist:) and (:include:) aren't
> processed.
>
> It might help if you explained what you want in more detail.

Sure.  The main page is one that is machine generated.  We have a
program that creates a PmWiki page.  On that page, we have a spot for
user augmented information,  It's included so that if the page doesn't
exist, that's fine... but if it does exist, it represents user data that
would be associated (included) on the generated page (the generated page
is recreated every day).

So... the idea is now we want PTVs on those pages.  PTVs that are from
the computer generated side of the fence, and the option to include PTVs
from the user augmented page that is included when present for that
page.

> For a random possibility, if you could instead use a pagelist to
> generate the list of pages to include (eg. by tagging each of those
> with a PTV), and then put the (:include:) inside a pagelist template,
> you could use a different template with the same list in order to do
> stuff with the PTVs on those pages.

I was thinking that a specially crafted pagelist might be able to
get data from:

Generatedpage-UniqueID

Userpage-UniqueID

Where UniqueID is the common piece.  BUT, realize that sometimes for a
particular PTV, the SAME named PTV could either be found in the
Generatedpage or be manually found from the Userpage.

Does that make better sense? (sorry if all I'm doing is confusing
things)