[pmwiki-users] Cookbook Ratings : Vote for the recipes you use

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Mon Jan 18 05:04:43 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:30 AM, DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com> wrote:
> On 1/17/2010 10:44 PM, Petko Yotov wrote:
>> On Monday 18 January 2010 03:37:52, Petko Yotov wrote :
>>> I have enabled ratings in the Cookbook and you can rate the recipes which
>>>   you use or have reviewed, and thus contribute to the statistics.
>>>
> Is it possible to have the ratings maintained in the Comments/Talk pages
> rather than in the main recipe page?

I just tested (using the largely irrelevant and unused
Cookbook/NestedIf) to see if Rating2 would work on other pages.  This
markup:

Rating: {{$FullName}-Rating$Rating2}

works fine.

(Without the nested PTV it would look like this:

Rating: {Cookbook.NestedIf-Rating$Rating2}

which is easier to read but then has to be edited in each recipe individually.)

Thus each recipe author can choose how they want to structure their
recipe documentation - a Talk page, a Ratings page, part of the main
recipe page, etc.  However, I would suggest putting a link for editing
the ratings so users don't have to search around in the source to
figure it out:

[[{$FullName}-Rating|Ratings]]: {{$FullName}-Rating$Rating2}
(''[[{$FullName}-Rating?action=edit|Edit Ratings]]'')

Or the like...

Standardizing things has obvious advantages, but I'm afraid there's as
many opinions how to do it as there are recipe authors...  Personally
I'll probably implement it on a Recipe-Rating page for my recipes.

-Peter