[pmwiki-users] pmwiki-devel Digest, Vol 39, Issue 2

Scott Connard connard at dsg-inc.com
Sat Jan 2 12:31:26 CST 2010

On Jan 2, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Pm wrote:

> We *do* have unique links for RSS feeds -- each page url serves
> as its own guid (by virtue of there not being a guid entry by
> default).
>
> The question I'm posing is whether each separate edit to a page
> should default to generating a new guid for the page.  I think
> that should be a per-site decision, not something that PmWiki
> dictates to be the case.
>
> On the other hand, if the vast majority of sites expect that
> every edit should result in a new entry in an aggregator, then
> I'm willing to change the default, as long as we make it clear
> how to get back to the other behavior.
>
> Pm

Patrick and Dan,

I agree with both of you - something is lacking but we need to allow
both mechanisms to work.

I feel like RSS feeds and RecentChanges "miss" reporting events
because RecentChanges only keeps the last "event" for each page.  I
worked on the Cookbook MajorChanges (http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/
MajorChanges) to try to eliminate that problem and then had my RSS
feed work off of my Site.AllMajorChanges page instead of
Site.AllRecentChanges.

I'll try the guid patch and see if that does anything to enhance my
solution.

Scott Connard.