[pmwiki-users] Handling canonical URLs (ie don't allow variable case in urls)

pmwiki at 911networks.com pmwiki at 911networks.com
Mon Feb 8 14:18:32 CST 2010

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 19:21:15 +0000
Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:

>Hi, I'm running on linux and I am trying to setup some kind of
>canonicalisation on my site so that URLs all have exactly the same
>case, eg you will notice on the PmWiki site that these two urls go
>to the same place:
>
>http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/pmWiki/pageLists
>http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageLists
>
>I am under the (mistaken?) impression that google will possibly
>treat each as a separate URL, but in any case it just cases
>confusion.

Yes, you ARE mistaken. Google is case INSENSITIVE. Internally they
convert everything to lowercase. This was in one of Matt Cutts
presentation. His website is: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ He's the
chief anti-spamming officer at Google aka quality control.

So both are the same but:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/pmWiki/pageLists
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/pmWiki/pageList
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageLists