[pmwiki-users] PTV including directive : (:text: this is my long text, with pictures. (:thumlist:):)

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sat Aug 14 12:38:24 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 03:30:54PM +0200, ABClf wrote:
>> 2010/8/14 Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com>
>> >  I had originally intended that multiple colons could be used to
>> >  disambiguate -- i.e., that one could increase the number of colons
>> >  on either side of the outer directive to distinguish it from any
>> >  nested directives:
>> >
>> >      (::text: (:thumblist:) ::)
>>
> ... What I'm proposing is simply
> that someone could increase the number of colons in a PTV markup
> (and perhaps any directive) to allow directives with smaller numbers
> of colons to be embedded within it.

I think this is a great idea to improve flexibility.

Can it be done maintaining backward compatibility with recipes that
use $PageTextVarPattern?  I haven't looked at it in detail, but it
looks like the numbering of the subpatterns is going to get messed up
which will require changes to recipes which will mean different
versions have to be maintained to support different versions of pmwiki
and etc.  But hopefully I'm missing the solution...

-Peter