[pmwiki-users] Another approach to section editing

Randy Brown alongkiss at aprivatespot.com
Sat Aug 7 09:51:51 CDT 2010

Thanks, Dave, Gilles and Amos, for your suggestions and moral support.

Randy

P.S. Does anyone else think that the ability to have integrated section editing would be a great enhancement to PmWiki? Take a look at my envisioned edit form below, and think how friendly that would be for authors who don't know much markup! I think one of the biggest impediments to PmWiki's wider adoption is the knowledge that it demands of authors.

On Aug 7, 2010, at 9:15 AM, DaveG wrote:

> This looks like it might be a good starting point:
>  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Qnotes

I'll have to check that out.

On Aug 7, 2010, at 12:47 AM, ABClf wrote:

> I didn't test it, but did you see this one : http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/LiveEdit

Yes, I did see and test that recipe. (1) it didn't work for me. (2) Its look and feel are so different from PmWiki's look and feel, that even if I could make it work I probably wouldn't want to. I'd also rather not add new markup to the page if that can be avoided.

I don't see why adding new markup should be necessary. The strings that define sections, page text variables, and the title directive are all well-defined already. Foxedit, for example, can update anchored sections and page text variables without adding markup. (Fox can't update the page's title directive, however.)

On Aug 7, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Amos Satterlee wrote:

> If the entire page is open in the edit form, how can a link in the
> page be active?

The section-update links would not be in the area being edited. They would be on the edit form, right below "Editing MyPage". Here's what I mean:

Editing MyPage
Section: ALL Title Section1 Section2 Section3

(:title I am the page's title - change me:)

[[#Section1]]
This anchored section, like the title, can be edited without having to look at the rest of the page.
[[#Section1end]]

(:Section2: This PTV can be edited too.:)

Section3: So can this PTV

If you open the page for editing (when you click on a link with "action=edit", restore from history, or are being shown a simultaneous edit conflict), you will see all the page's text, as usual. But above the edit area you will see section links. By clicking on a section link you can reduce the text in the edit area to just the text you want to edit. For example if you clicked on "Title" you would see: