[pmwiki-users] Producing XHTML 1.0 Strict

V.Krishn vkrishn at insteps.net
Wed Apr 7 23:21:29 CDT 2010

On Thursday 08 Apr 2010 1:51:08 am you wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:38:17AM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:
> > Would it very difficult if PmWiki produces XHTML 1.0 Strict output?
> > One reason for doing would be preparing PmWiki for HTML 5.0 which
> > obsoletes some elements and attributes.
> > example:
> >  [[<<]] produces <br clear='all' /> , which would not pass XHTML 1.0
> > Strict as well as  HTML 5.0.
> > Solution is <br class='someclass' />  with style .someclass { clear:
> > both; }
>
> IIRC, Some browsers don't treat the "clear:both;" CSS property the same as
> "<br clear='all' />".  So it's not an exact replacement.
>
> Pm

That would be expected when we are talking about XHTML 1.0 Strict.
I am guessing  all browsers that pass acid2 tests should be able to handle the
Strict mode with PmWiki's current implimetation of elements and attributes.
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid2

Initially there might be a need to have a separate stdmarkup.php to avoid
extraprocessing and config option to switch to strict mode.

Pushing for strict mode would also help developers make ready their
skins/modules for Html 5.0.

For instance(section edit):
elegantly be combined to produce sections on a page, which later can, with
help of good JS libraries be converted to Ajax section editing.
Like:
[[#section]] .... [[#sectionend]] can be converted to:
<section id='uniqueID' ><a id='section'>
....flow content
</section>

Then with use of UpdatePageSection() function
(http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2010-April/057179.html)
and JavaScript(ajax) it can be converted to section edit.

--
Regards,
V.Krishn