[pmwiki-users] URL problem

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 2 12:42:06 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 10:27:42AM -0500, Robert Matthews wrote:
> In both IE 7 and Firefox 3.5, a FILE:// url works fine if typed directly into
> the browser, but not if it's on a Pmwiki page. The problem appears to be the
> PHP code that PMWiki is written in. We have a very tightly controlled intranet
> with a relatively small number of users behind a firewall. We want the ability
> to simply click on a FILE://  link and access the page. We have found a kludgy
> solution using an add-on for Firefox named 'Localhost', but nothing for IE. Any
> solutions?

The "problem" isn't with PHP or PmWiki, it's with the browser.
Browsers typically only honor file:// links when they come from a
local source, such as when entered directly or when viewing a page
from a local hard drive.

file:// links in page coming from an "external" webserver via
http:// aren't considered safe by the browser, and so it refuses
to use them.  As you've seen, there's an add-on for Firefox that
enables them to work somewhat, but I don't know how to do anything
for IE (short of reducing IE's security policies).