[pmwiki-users] double logon

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu Oct 1 01:06:54 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:
> It could also happen if (farm)config.php, or an included recipe, directly
> calls the functions CondAuth(), or RetrieveAuthPage(), PageTextVar(),
> PageVar() and possibly others, before defining all passwords and before
> including AuthUser (if required).
> Such questions seem to come over and over again, even if it is in the docs.
> I'm not sure where and how we should better document it -- if you have an idea
> of improvement, please edit the documentation. Eg. where the CondAuth()
> function is mentioned.

The difficulty is this: if the change I had just made had been
CondAuth() specific then I would have searched for CondAuth() and
perhaps would have found it.  Particularly if I had thought, "I wonder
if the order of items in config.php caused this" then I certainly
would have been able to find it.  So the documentation is based
(appropriately) on how to fix what is causing the problem, but if one
doesn't know the cause of the problem then there's currently no way of
finding the fix.

The PmWiki/Troubleshooting page is the current logical place for help
in going from symptoms to cause of problem.  And ideally it should be
search-friendly (i.e., have a standard way of putting in synonyms for
symptoms, other relevant search terms people might be looking for).

Perhaps it could even be developed into a simple "expert system"...
Have a special group called "Troubleshooting" and the HomePage lists
overall categories and then those categories are broken down into more
specific problems on sub-pages (always dealing with the *symptoms*
that people see rather than being organized according to the type of
cause or fix) and then somewhere down the line have the link to the
page that explains the fix...  However, that would be a major new
addition to the web-page and would require some significant effort to
get it up and useful and then an ongoing effort to keep it maintained.
 I'm not sure it would be worth it...

-Peter