[pmwiki-users] How does Google spider Multilanguage pages

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 27 10:10:56 CST 2009

kirpi at kirpi.it (2009-11-27 13:01):
> Suppose I have a bunch of pages with the MultiLanguage recipe[1]
> The page structure is basically
>
> (:if userlang en:)
> english text
> (:if userlang it:)
> italian text
> (:if:)
>
> Now, my questions are:
> - what does Google see as it spiders the pages?
> - does such a structure make sense in order to have the contents well indexed?
> - wouldn't it be better (google-wise) to manage separated pages for
> different languages?

Google and Yahoo do index the ?lang=xx pages as separate ones and
searching for text in different languages works just fine.

Note that I do provide the ?lang=xx links in a sitemap [1], but I don't
know whether it has any influence or not.

[1] http://www.sitemaps.org, there was a GoogleSitemap or a similar recipe
    for this, but I use a custom one (IIRC, mine was simple, but
    featureless in comparison).

P.S. I still think that typing (:if userlang en:) is too much and it is
     easy enough to support (:en:).

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos