[pmwiki-users] Page Variables help - how to take one and split into two

stevecrisp at gmail.com stevecrisp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 16:19:22 CST 2009

2009/11/1 Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk>

>  But why don't you use simple PageTextVariables, like

(:latitude: 50.1234:)
> (:longitude: -1.23456:)
>
> and use {$:latitude} and {$:longitude} in your
> $FeedFmt['georss']['item'] array?

Why do you want to use PageVariables?

Hans, thanks for looking at this and questioning.  To be honest I'm not sure
the difference between PTV's and PV's.  The way I first approached this was
to look at how the extant (:summary:) markup worked and copied how that was
integrated into the system.  Now I know the $:variable syntax I'll see if I
can simplify the FeedFmt line.

The other reason was that I'm using a database backend to store my wiki
pages and storing selected page variables e.g. summary and now lat/lng, as
columns within the table for fast access without processing each page.  I'm
starting with the very good SQLite recipe and found I need the 'page
variable thing' to get the extra data (lat/lng) to store - not sure why.
FYI - I'm porting the SQLite recipe to support MySQL so I can save a stored
procedure to very quickly find Wiki pages within a specified radius from a
specific location.  This is similar to the way geonames
'findNearestPlacename' works (ref. http://www.geonames.org) .

> And if you need to use PageVariables, why the change to use a
> (:coord..:) markup instead of two markups for latitude and longitude?
> If you have a single coord markup there may be possible confusion
> of what arg comes first: lat or long.
>
>  ~Hans

Agreed that two markups might make more sense.  My rationale was to imitate
the Wikipedia markup just in case users were used to that.  Ref.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Geographical_coordinates

I'm sitting on the fence as to what to go with...