[pmwiki-users] Auto-save function?

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Fri May 29 03:12:54 CDT 2009

2009/5/29 Marcus <prima at wordit.com>:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Eemeli Aro <eemeli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> <http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AutoSave>
>
> Excellent, works great! Many Thanks.
>
> Since I have somebody working on the wiki who tends to forget saving,
> even the notsaved recipe was not the ideal solution. They might just
> close the browser, or shutdown the PC and not see the prompt. So
> autosave is the way to go.
>
> Would it be possible to do it without drafts mode, or is that required
> for the functionality?

Probably, if the recipe itself re-implemented most of what
scripts/draft.php does. I did think about this, but decided that
having a separate mechanism would also potentially add confusion, with
the possibility then existing of having a page, its autosaved version,
its draft version, and an autosaved version of the draft version all
at the same time. Less confusion and more code-reuse is better.

> Any known browser incompatabilities?

No idea about IE, but it'll probably work at least in IE8. Also not
tested on any Windows platform, but seems ok on Linux Firefox3, Opera9
and Midori (WebKit). The Javascript event registration and AJAX stuff
will require a relatively recent browser, but I'm unable to say where
exactly that line is; IE4, Netscape4 and Opera7 won't work, though.

eemeli