[pmwiki-users] 403 Forbidden Error - Which line in httpd.conf to fix?

Scott Connard connard at dsg-inc.com
Sat Jul 25 11:11:40 CDT 2009

> I had a perfectly good pmwiki site running on my mac os x 10.4 laptop
> and then went and stupidly upgraded to 10.5 leopard, and can't get my
> local wiki up.   Half the problem was finding the right files to read
> and edit, which is why my problem outlined below is a little bit
> verbose (perhaps someone will google a similar problem and find your
> answer).
>
> For a while I didn't have my website running on http://localhost/
> ~myname/pmwiki
>   at all until I turned on my Web Sharing System Preferences.  Now,
> I've been getting a relentless 403 "Forbidden: You don't have
> permission to access /~myname/pmwiki on this server".  I finally found
> the error  message in the /var/log/apache2/error_log file which
> reads:  "Client denied by server configuration: /Users/myname/Sites/
> pmwiki/"
>
> I read up on the error, and someone suggested that I merely change
> "Deny from all" to "Allow from all" the <Directory> block in the /etc/
> apache2/httpd.conf file.  After I stop/start apachectl, and check the
> log, I get the "Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /
> Users/
> myname/Sites/pmwiki/" and the same 403 error.  Don't worry, I set
> the .conf file back again.
>
> Shouldn't I be doing something else?  Is there a Load Module that I
> should use, or set my Document Root to /Users/myname/Sites/pmwiki or
> something?

Grace,

Did you uncomment the LoadModule php5_module line in /etc/apache2/
httpd.conf?

If you are using ~myname, you do not have to change the DocumentRoot.

If you DO change the DocumentRoot, you need to also change the path
in the <Directory directive that has the original DocumentRoot (/
Library/WebServer/Documents).

Note that the file /etc/apache2/users/myname.conf overrides any
Directory options in the main httpd.conf file.  These user files are
included by the line "include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-
userdir.conf" which includes all of the user files.

You may also want to try accessing the index.html file in your Sites
folder: http://localhost/~myname/index.html to make sure the rest of
your webserver is working cleanly.

Hope this helps,
Scott Connard.