[pmwiki-users] Fixing the documentation

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jul 21 06:27:11 CDT 2009

Hi

Thanks for the feedback, I just wanted to highlight it's slightly more
subtle than you think:

> one is the consistency raised in the original example given
> viz
> * [[Pagelist Variables]]
> * [[PageList Templates]]
> Is it a PageList or a Pagelist?
> Personally I think its a pagelist, because it is a thing in its
> own right, and it seems clumsy to write "page list template", although
> one could argue for m"page-list template".
> (Aside: To me this is argument for case insensitive page names).

Actually the more subtle point is that we have a feature to adjust how
links are generated.  So for example at present

[[Pagelist Variables]] -> PagelistVariables
[[PageList Variables]] -> PageListVariables
[[Page list Variables]] -> PageListVariables

Clearly on a case insensitive basis (which is fairly easy to add) these
pages are the same

However!  If we adjust our link generation to be something like adding
"-"s then we get: Pagelist-Variables, PageList-Variables and
Page-List-Variables respectively.

(There is also a minor difference in appearence if we use the option to
space wiki links)

So one of the other reasons for persuing consistency is that it also
helps keep the links working in the face of changes to the link
generation algorithm.  However, note that we did disappear off at a
tangent about the merits of being able to do this, so please lets not
over focus too much on this use case - being consistent is worth having
for no other reason than clarity to the reader!

Thanks for your thoughts

Ed W