[pmwiki-users] PmForms for populating a PmWiki page with an archive of papers

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Jul 2 20:05:03 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 01:24:48PM -0700, Karl Schilke wrote:
> Hi, I have set up a PmWiki instance for a group of engineers working
> on a research and development project. They have collected ~100 papers
> that they would like to index on a page. They want a structured system
> where each paper is in its own "section", with a standard format
> consisting of:
>
>      Article title (italics) -> PDF of the paper
>      Author list
>      Journal citation / DOI:xxx or URL
>      Description or abstract (free-text notes or a copy of the abstract)
[snip]
> It seems to me that a form-based approach would be ideal. I'm thinking
> of a "Add paper" link from the main page that creates each of the
> sub-pages based on four textboxes and a file upload for the PDF
> version. I haven't had an opportunity to explore the PmForm
> extensions. Is this the right tool for the job?
>
> Would a PTV approach make sense here? Does anyone know of a similar
> system that I could look at as a starting point for my application?
> I'd be happy to "donate" a version as an example for pmwiki.org, once
> I get it working.

Yes, I think a PTV approach makes sense, coupled with a pagelist to make
the index.  PmForms should be enough for that; I don't think you need
the fancier plugins like Fox or WikiForms.
The only problem might be that I'm not sure that the file upload can be
put on the same form, not if you want to use PmWiki's Attach: feature.

Kathryn Andersen