[pmwiki-users] Planning migration of PmWiki.org to UTF-8

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Jan 30 10:12:34 CST 2009

Hello,

Pm and I are considering migrating the pmwiki.org site to UTF-8.

UTF-8 is a universal character encoding that allows the usage of all world
languages in every page. Also, UTF-8 support in PmWiki was greatly improved
about two years ago, and many wikis, including my own, use it successfully.

Currently, some localized groups use UTF-8, others use the older standard
ISO-8859-1 or another encoding.

For wikigroups that are already in UTF-8, there will be no change. For the
others, the conversion will be automatic. The conversion will be easier if
all Group.PageNames of the non-UTF-8 groups are in plain ASCII Latin letters
(A-Z0-9).

We are still just brainstorming, so any comments, ideas or questions will be
welcome.

Thanks,
Petko