[pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 08:38:46 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 07:01:28PM +1300, john.rankin at affinity.co.nz wrote:
> My inclination would be to keep a first implementation simple.
> To befriend a recipe, you supply a link to your profile page and
> an optional one line message (like the summary field on an edit
> form). PmWiki adds a "Friend since date". There are many ways
> to implement this, all of them trivial, all involving some kind of
> "Friend this recipe" button or link in Cookbook.GroupHeader.

Indeed, if we go with the idea of "endorsements" [1], then
attaching a link to profile page along with a date is
as simple as:

    ~~~~

This is just the "signature" markup -- it adds a link to the author's
profile page and the current date and time.

We can also come up with a customized page variable that counts
the number of endorsements on the page for various sorting and
searching criteria.

We can also probably come up with a custom action link or form for
cookbook pages that automatically adds an endorsement (so that people
don't have to edit the recipe page to endorse the recipe).  I see
arguments both for and against the automatic endorsement: for a link,
I'd like to encourage people to comment as well as endorse;  for
a form, it clutters up the recipe page a bit and we have to
make sure we're protecting against spambots.

> Keep the first implementation of friending (?) as simple as
> possible, but no simpler.

I completely agree that we should start with a simple approach
and extend it.  Perhaps a simple link to add an endorsement
is our best first step.

Pm

[1]  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/42177/focus=42196