[pmwiki-users] Self registration

Swift, Chris Chris.Swift at eu.dodea.edu
Wed Jan 21 15:09:32 CST 2009

I highly appreciate everyone's comments on self-registration as that was one of my greatest hurdles in the wiki world.  I've found a great number of people turned off by the idea that there were many extras needed in order to incorporate a self-registration.

Having said that, I think a self-registration should have:

1.  Complete security and privacy for both the person that is signing up and for the administrator
2.  A function that would allow for the administrator to accept or deny the signup (this would be either enabled or disabled by the admin)
3.  An ability to allow you to ask whatever information deemed necessary for the person signing up (e-mail, phone number, first name, last name, etc.)
4.  A way that all of this could be automated so that the admin has the least amount of work (which is the point of the wiki anyway since its author driven)
5.  There should also be a way that all of this stored information would be available to create list groups, etc.

Anyway, so far I have found only 2 recipes that will do all of these (and more):

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUserSignup

and

ZAP

Maybe both of these recipes could be building blocks for a self-registration.

Thanks,

Chris