[pmwiki-users] Permission problems with Windows Server 2008

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Wed Jan 21 08:04:11 CST 2009

I have run PmWiki for years on a Windows 2000 server box. Recently I
upgraded (??) the OS to Windows Server 2008 which appears to be the
server branch of Vista.

Everything on PmWiki works just fine, but I have noticed a strange
permissions problem under specific circumstances and was hoping that
someone has a possible explanation or solution.

Because I use PmWiki as a document repository, the upload directories
are full of files, most of which have been placed there by direct access
to the network volume. However, I now find that files uploaded through
PmWiki are *not* visible through the network share. They *are* visible
through PmWiki or through a VNC session to the server or directly at the
server console. It looks to me like Winserver 2008 is assigning some
other "owner" to uploaded files which prevents me from seeing the files
through the share, even though I log in with admin privileges.

Does anybody have any suggestions of how to "cure" this problem? Please
don't suggest moving to Linux - my brain capacity for new OSes has been
exceeded already!

Thanks!
--
Neil Herber