[pmwiki-users] User rating of cookbook recipes

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue Jan 20 14:15:44 CST 2009

pmwiki at 911networks.com wrote:

> > And in many cases, there is no "best solution", but you have to
> > weigh your own special preferences.
>
> Actually, this is one of the big problem. Let's take a look at the
> AuthUser. There are so many ways of implementing it, so which one is

I also had to think about this one when this thread started.

> "your own special preference". I don't know. If I don't know enough to
> choose the right one, I am stuck.
>
> I just had this happened late last year, where some customers wanted
> to setup their own wiki, but wanted to do it themselves and only call
> me if they had some question. I recommended PmWiki, but when they
> looked at it, they were confused by the so many ways of doing the same
> thing. Especially the AuthUser.

AuthUser (vs. UserAuth*) is one example where I'm afraid that a
rating system wouldn't help very much. You have to go through the
details.

> So they ended up choosing Dokuwiki.

I can understand this decision if they needed some kind of user auth.

DokuWiki comes "out of the box" with a well documented, working user
authentication, self registration with email verification. No effort
to get it running. With PmWiki, it's rather hard to solve for the
beginner.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen