[pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 07:48:04 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:56:00AM +0100, Oliver Betz wrote:
> What is the problem to access and edit config.php by (S)FTP, SCP etc.?
> It's only a matter of using the right tools. Using Windows, WinSCP and
> Beyond Compare work _very_ well. PsPad, UltraEdit will also do the
> job.

Some people are more comfortable with "control panel" type
interfaces instead of editing files.  Especially since a control
panel can prevent certain types of spelling and/or other
configuration errors.

> If PM included calls to third party extensions in the PmWiki
> distribution, this is a kind of recommendation and implies a certain
> level of responsibility for flawless function.

We could simply make the hooks available for third party
extensions to add entries to the control panel.

> I'm much more concerned (and other should be also) about safety than
> comfort: [...]

File permissions and safety have been my primary concerns;
second to that is coming up with a reasonable mechanism so that
a control panel interface can coexist with the ability to also
make customizations via config.php (because many customizations
can't be easily handled by a control-panel type interface).