[pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Jan 19 14:57:02 CST 2009

>Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:42:48 +0100
>From: Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net>
>Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release,	new
>	release manager
>"Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:
>
>>> one thing is probably very important: have some way to install major
>>> cookbooks from a drop down list or checkbox
>>
>>This isn't likely to happen (the drop-down list or checkbox part),
>>because we don't want the webserver to have write permission to
>>the cookbook/ directory.
>
>I agree with this. I'm basically happy with the current method of
>cookbook installation.
>
>Oliver

A small step could be to distinguish installation from activation.
The installer could continue to install everything as before, but
activation could be through a PmWiki page in SiteAdmin. When PmWiki
launches, it reads the activation page and loads the specified
packages. Just a thought... Has the advantage of being able to
make sure things load in a pre-defined order, if that's important.

Such a page could list optional PmWiki scripts and configuration
settings, as well as third party packages.

Another reason not to do this at install time is it makes it a
nuisance to go back and add another package to the installation.

JR
--
John Rankin
Affinity Limited