[pmwiki-users] Re-thinking Intro to markup pages

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Feb 19 19:16:14 CST 2009

Oliver Betz wrote:
> Mark Paterson wrote:
>>BTW, I was initially reluctant to edit the URL because it felt
>> a bit like "hacking" the site - like I was trying to go somewhere that the
>
> Ack, I wouldn't expect this from a newbie.

I felt that way when I was a newbie. More precisely, I was terrified of
breaking something.

>> site didn't want me to go. Now that I'm used to it, it's no big deal.
>> 2) Accessibility is very important. I think that the content on John's page
>> is great. It's concise, and it shows by example, which is just what I needed
>> as a beginner. I have no problems with the layout. If you want to change the
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/BasicEditing is also meant to be
> concise. It just was a bit overgrown in the past.
>
>> style, or do two column or two pages, fine. I probably slightly lean towards
>> having everything on one page, so I have one place to search, but having an
>> index page would be OK too. But I need to be able to get here from Google
>> easily (or at a pinch, from the PmWiki search). I don't know if I'm typical,
>
> The link to BasicEditing is in the pmwiki.org sidebar, therefore
> visible on most pages.

How about adding

(:searchbox label=DocSearch group=PmWiki:) to BasicEditing?

>> maybe not, but nowadays I rarely try going to a specific site first for
>> searches; Google usually works. If there's a way (maybe using keywords?) to
>> map "beginner," "newbie," "editing" and so forth to this page, that would be
>> very helpful.

PmWiki.org has the style
%audience%
which puts the intended audience for the page in a box on the top right.
I'm not sure which recipe this is from, but the recipe includes a lot of
other useful styles as well. Very useful.

Sandy