[pmwiki-users] Delete EditGettingStarted, CharacterMarkup, LineMarkup (and more)? (Oliver Betz)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Feb 9 14:52:21 CST 2009

On Tuesday, 10 February 2009 4:41 AM, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
>From: Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net>
>Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] Delete EditGettingStarted, haracterMarkup,
>	LineMarkup (and more)?
>
>John Rankin wrote:
>
>BTW: Why do you change (slightly) the subject each posting? This
>breaks thread view in my newsreader.

I'm sorry about that; I receive a Digest and reply to that, so
copy the title from the digest into the subject line. I make
mistakes. If you cc me in your reply to the list, I can
reply directly and this will retain the subject line.

>[...]
>
>>> <splitting hairs> According to this definition, lists and paragraphs
>>> would be block markup - both are described in LineMarkup. </splitting
>>> hairs>
>>
>>Not true. As defined, a line ends with a return character followed
>>either by a second return character or by a line markup
>character.
>
>simply avoid the word "line". It's misleading.

OK, thanks -- any suggestions for an alternative? "paragraph"
doesn't seem quite right.

>[...]
>

>>I would be very happy to see the PmWiki documentation factored
>>to use the Creole set as an introduction, with branches to more
>>advanced markup features. This does not require PmWiki to adopt
>>the Creole standard, just use the Creole thinking. I think I would
>>also refactor EditQuickReference to present only the Creole
>markup
>
>I support this as an option.
>
>Since there are only few entry points to the existing documentation
>(e.g. EditQuickReference and the sidebar), an administrator could
>simply replace these to Creole versions.

I think it may be bigger than this. At least the following pages
will need to be re-factored:

- DocumentationIndex
- TextFormattingRules
- BasicEditing
- EditQuickReference
- MarkupMasterIndex

>Maybe this could be even configurable. The i18n mechanism (XLPage)
>could be also used.

Sounds good to me.

>There should be an appropriate naming scheme for the Creole pages,
>what about CreoleQuickReference? I don't think that it's worth another
>group.

Choosing the wrong names could cause confusion. We need to make sure
we distinguish the Creole markup set as a structure for documentation
from the Creole markup rules themselves. My inclination, I think,
would be to reserve the word "Creole" for pages that refer to Creole
markup rules. However, I strongly agree that as the documentation is
being re-factored, we need an easy way to distinguish pages being
worked on from the current stable versions.

One way would be to use a category: use [[!creole]] to refer to pages
structured around the Creole-based core markup set and use a Creole
name prefix to refer to pages that describe Creole markup rules.
However, then we couldn't use XLPage to switch. OTOH, I'm reluctant
to embark on a path that requires maintaining 2 sets of docuemntation.
I would rather see one set, structured around a Creole core set.

JR

--
John Rankin
Affinity Limited