[pmwiki-users] [pmwiki-devel] Admin interface design ideas

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Wed Feb 4 12:16:11 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Henrik Bechmann <henrik at bechmann.ca> wrote:

> I want to surface some (more) admin settings to wiki pages through a
> recipe, and wanted to kick some ideas around.
>
> Initially, I want to allow admins of my websites to set skins through an
> admin interface, but I anticipate other uses as well (enabling certain
> recipes for example). So I'm searching for a fairly generic way of
> approaching this, that could easily be extended.

On the SiteAdmin.Config wiki page the entry would (in the short run)
> look like this:
>
> EnableRelativePageVars:1
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

You may want to look at Cookbook/PageConfig for a start.  (
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PageConfig)

I think security is the single biggest issue you have to deal with.  With
PageConfig I've tried to err on the side of giving the "real administrator"
absolute control over what the "page administrators" can and can't do.
I.e., in config.php you can specify which variables can/cannot be set and
even specify what valid values are allowed or not; you can specify a list of
allowable scripts to include or exclude, etc.  I've also made sure that
pmwiki conditionals are available so that per-page, per-group, per-author,
etc configuration can be easily achieved.

The syntax for the directives on the page is not very user-friendly and
needs to be changed - I just haven't put enough thought into what would be
good for it...  But if it looks like the functionality you are looking for
is there and you have an idea on the directive syntax I'd be happy to look
into implementing it.

Do note that putting this additional configuration alternative into the mix
can really multiply the difficulty of tracking down configuration-related
problems.

-Peter