[pmwiki-users] Title and PTV undesired behaviour

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 09:14:12 CST 2009

Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 3:01:10 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I'm also not a big fan of switching PmWiki's default.  Perhaps
> providing an option to switch the default is a possibility, but
> even here I think that trying to explain what it does (and
> figuring out all of its ramifications) indicates that we're probably
> heading down the wrong path.

In this case I do not see great harm but only more clarity in
changing the default. I don't believe there can be many cases
where multiple PTVs with same name are used on purpose.
And I wonder which author is aware of the order PTV patterns are
processed, since that has also a bearing on "who wins".

> Instead of "first wins" or "last wins", what if we modified the
> PTV markup such that a page itself can indicate the absolute winner?
> For example, something like

>     (:Test: abc)
>     (:*Test: 123)
>     (:Test: xyz)

> could result in {$:Test} always being "123", with the asterisk
> indicating "This is the value to use regardless of any other
> ptvs on this page."

Basically this means introducing  a special purpose PTV pattern, and
making it a preference pattern.
But it does not change the confusion arising from duplicates in other
patterns, which is very real considering simple PTV patterns like

Test: abc

which can easily be added by someone not aware of the PTV nature of
such a string.

  ~Hans