[pmwiki-users] (:title:) of (:include:) included pages overrides page title

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 3 08:48:34 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:21:33PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 12:04:45 PM, Petko Yotov wrote:
>
> > "First title wins" is in another PITS entry, http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00266
> > I also think that if we change to use the "first" title directive, there will
> > be no need to disable directives from included pages.
>
> Oh good! You got my vote. I can't remember if I ever added a "vote" to
> the PITS page.

There's another piece to this puzzle that ought to be
considered:  The {$Title} page variable always ends up
ignoring titles from included pages.   Thus, a page
that has

    (:include SomethingWithTitle:)
    (:title xyz:)

will always end up with {$Title} being 'xyz' regardless
of any (:title:) directive inside of SomethingWithTitle.

Beyond that, I do know that there have been cases where
sites have wanted the "last title wins" behavior, so we
can't just change the default without thinking about it
a bit more first.

I've also thought from time-to-time that we'd be much
better off if we switched to using page text variables
instead of specialized directives for these "attributes".