[pmwiki-users] Title and PTV undesired behaviour

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Tue Feb 3 06:26:26 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:

> Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 12:38:56 AM, DaveG wrote:
>
> > Hans wrote:
> >> Is it possible to achieve this? Would it be desirable that th efirst
> >> instance of a PTV will be used by default?
> > I suspect this is going to vary very much by author. Personally, I find
> > it makes sense that the later definition over-rides the more recent, if
> > declared on the same page.
>
> For what reasons?

If you think of it as setting a default setting at the top and then
overriding the default further down (perhaps with a conditional, etc) then
it would make sense for the later to override the earlier.

However, Hans, your points on the other side are very legitimate.  Thus it
appears a configurable switch is needed to meet the needs on both sides.
This switch would ideally (in my mind) be at both the administrative level
and also with a markup override for a given page.

Suggested config switch:
    $EnablePTVOptionFirstWins=1;
-or-
    $PTVOptions['firstwins'] = 1;

Suggested markup:
    (:PTVoption lastwins:) // if the non-default config option has been
chosen
    (:PTVoption firstwins:)

This leaves a relatively flexible markup if there are other PTV options one
might want to set at some point in the future...

FWIW.

-Peter