[pmwiki-users] pagelists and pagevariables

Joel Cropley ironwing at cox.net
Mon Aug 31 01:25:40 CDT 2009

Hi! I'm sorry if this is a simple question. It seems like it should be,
but in nearly a week of searching the knowledge base, I haven't found my
answer. Maybe it's there and I just don't see it. On to the question:

I want to use the pagelist markup to automatically generate lists of
pages on the wiki, exactly like using the Title page variable and
fmt=#title. However, I'd like to use more than just the Title page
variable, say, adding one for serial numbers. It would seem that adding

$FmtPV['$serialnumber'] ='@$page["serialnumber"]';

to config.php aught to work, but with (:serialnumber 014:) in the page
markup, even using {PageName$serialnumber}doesn't return a value. What
am I missing? Once I get the pagevariable to report correctly, I was
planning on using

[[#bynumber]]
(:template defaults order=serialnumber:)
* [[{=$serialnumber}|+]]
[[#bynumber]]

Would this work? FYI, I am no expert here, especially with PHP. I can
probably insert some code into config.php or something, but truly
understanding (let alone writing) it is above my ability. The two
snippets of code above are co-opted from the existing Descriptions
definition in pmwiki.php and from PmWiki.PageListTemplates, respectively.

Thanks in advance,
Joel